Disease Focus: All Areas
View the 2023 request for applications [PDF].
The AASLD Foundation Bridge Award supports investigators who have recently submitted an NIH R or other federally funded equivalent award and have received competitive scores on their proposal, but were not funded, as they strengthen their proposal for resubmission to the NIH or other federal agency.
How to Apply
CMS Open Payments Disclaimer
In order to be eligible for this award, the applicant must adhere to the following guidelines:
- The applicant must:
- Have a faculty appointment at or below the rank of Associate Professor.
- Be a member of the American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases (AASLD) at the time of award application and maintain active membership for the duration of the award period.
- Be able to devote at least 20% effort to the research project on which this application is based.
- Be sponsored by a public or private non-profit institution accredited in the United States, Canada or Mexico engaged in health care and health-related research. Individuals employed at the NIH, FDA, and CDC are not eligible to apply.
- Have submitted their highly scored NIH R or other federal equivalent application within the last 24 months as of the application deadline (eligibility window starts on the date your application was reviewed by the NIH/federal equivalent study section). The applicant must be able to provide their Summary Statements and their submitted award materials on Standard Forms SF424 (R&R).
- Not currently hold a federally funded non-mentored grant (e.g., R01, P01, VA Merit) and not hold such a grant during the award period.
- Not hold other significant extramural mentored or non-mentored research funding (greater than $50,000) during the award period. Institutional funding and/or pilot research funding may be held during the award term.
- The proposed project must:
- Be conducted at the sponsoring institution within the United States, Canada or Mexico.
- Application limits:
- There is no restriction on the number of applicants an institution can sponsor each cycle, but only one applicant may be funded per distinct department within each institution in this award category.
- Applicants may only apply for one AASLD Foundation award per calendar year.
Award Period: May 1, 2023 – April 30, 2024
- Awards of $100,000 will be provided over one (1) year.
- Funds may only be used for PI salary support and/or for technical support/laboratory supplies (excluding capital equipment) for the recipient. No additional or indirect costs, registration fees, or travel expenses are allowed.
- PI salary support is limited to $20,000.
- Unexpended funds at the end of the award term must be returned to AASLD Foundation.
- Awards cannot be transferred to another institution without prior written approval from AASLD Foundation.
- This grant is intended as bridge support. If the application is funded by the NIH/equivalent during the AASLD Foundation Bridge Award period, the applicant must notify the Foundation and any unspent funds at the start of the other award must be returned.
Applicants will be evaluated based upon their background, their priority score and summary statement critique, and their strategy to address comments in the critique/summary statement.
Priority will be given to those seeking their first R01 award.
Applications will be reviewed based on the written materials submitted. Incomplete applications and applications that fail to adhere strictly to the instructions (including the submission deadline and page limitations) will not be reviewed. All decisions are final.
How to Apply
- Use pages 4-5 of the RFA as cover pages. Type responses.
- Include only the required documents and provide signatures as requested.
- Include a header at the upper right corner of each page with your name (last name, first name) and award name.
- Use half-inch margins. Do not use lettering smaller than 10 point.
- Adhere to page limits and complete all sections. Applications that do not meet the requirements, in content or format, will not be reviewed.
- The completed application, letters of support or commitment, and other documents as applicable must be combined in the order listed in the Required Documents section (RFA page 3) and submitted as one PDF document. Name the PDF file as follows: 2023 BRIDGE_Last name, first name (Example: 2023 BRIDGE_Smith, Jane)
- Submit your application at www.liverresearchawards.org. You will be sent an email confirmation that the application was received. If an email confirmation is not received in two (2) business days, please contact email@example.com to confirm receipt.
The application deadlines for this award are 11:59 pm Eastern time, January 23, 2023. Applications received after the deadline will not be reviewed in that cycle.
CMS Open Payments Disclaimer
This funding program may receive support that could require reporting by a corporate supporter under the Physician Payments Sunshine Act (PPSA). Reported information may appear on the CMS (Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services) Open Payments Website and include such information as the grant amount, awardee name, NPI, and sponsoring institution name. To learn more about the PPSA and how to review reported information please visit the Open Payments Resources for Physicians and Teaching Hospitals.
Questions? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Return to Current Funding Opportunities
The 2023 Bridge Award program is made possible through unrestricted donations from AASLD and donors to the AASLD Foundation.