Download the application [PDF].
The AASLD Foundation Bridge Award supports investigators who have recently submitted an NIH R or other federally-funded equivalent award and have received competitive scores on their proposal, but were not funded, as they strengthen their proposal for resubmission to the NIH or other federal agency. Applicant must not have other federal funding or significant institutional bridge funding (greater than $25,000, excluding PI salary support).
Applications in this category may be eligible for special funding. View the RFA. [PDF]
Questions? Contact email@example.com.
In order to be eligible for this award, the applicant must adhere to the following guidelines.
The applicant must:
- Have a faculty appointment at or below the rank of Associate Professor.
- Be a member of the American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases (AASLD) at the time of award application and maintain active membership for the duration of the award period.
- Be able to devote at least 20% effort to the research project on which this application is based.
- Be sponsored by a public or private non-profit institution accredited in the United States, Canada or Mexico engaged in health care and health-related research.
- Applicant must have submitted their highly scored NIH R or other federal equivalent application within the last 12 months as of the application deadline. The applicant must be able to provide their Summary Statements and their submitted award materials on Standard Forms SF424 (R&R).
- Not currently hold other similar research awards. Applicants who hold other research awards (including but not limited to NIH R01, PO1, R29, R21, or any K award; American Liver Foundation Liver Scholar Award; Veterans Administration Merit Review Grant or Career Development Award; AGA Industry Award, Glaxo Institute for Digestive Health Award; American Heart Association Award, etc.) during the award period are not eligible.
The proposed project must:
- Be conducted at the sponsoring institution within the United States, Canada or Mexico.
- Applicants may only apply for one (1) AASLD Foundation (AASLDF) award per application cycle.
Cycle I: February 1, 2021 – January 31, 2022
Cycle II: May 1, 2021 – April 30, 2022
- Awards of $100,000 will be provided over one (1) year.
- Funds may only be used for salary support and/or for technical support/laboratory supplies (excluding capital equipment) for the recipient.
- No indirect costs, registration fees, or travel expenses are provided. It is expected that additional funds are available to the investigator in order to carry out the proposed research.
- Awards cannot be transferred to another institution without prior written approval from AASLD Foundation.
- Recipients must acknowledge the award in all publications (abstracts, manuscripts, or other documents) resulting from research performed during the tenure of this award.
- This grant is intended as bridge support. If the application is funded by the NIH/equivalent during the AASLD Foundation Bridge Award period, the applicant must notify AASLD Foundation and any unspent funds at the start of the other award must be returned to AASLD Foundation.
Applicants will be evaluated based upon their background, their priority score and summary statement critique, and their strategy to address comments in the critique/summary statement. Priority will be given to those seeking their first R01 award.
Applications will be reviewed based on the written materials submitted. Incomplete applications and applications that fail to adhere strictly to the instructions (including the submission deadline and page limitations) will not be reviewed. All decisions are final.
The application deadline for this award is 11:59 pm ET, October 5, 2020 (Cycle I) or 11:59 pm ET, January 15, 2021 (Cycle II). Applications received after the deadline will not be reviewed.
Applications will be accepted online starting on August 19, 2020. You will be sent an email confirmation that the PDF was received. If an email confirmation is not received in 2 business days, contact firstname.lastname@example.org to confirm receipt.
To prepare your application:
- Download the application [PDF]
- Use the forms provided in the application package as cover pages. Print or type responses.
- Include only the required documents and provide signatures as requested.
- Put your name (last name, first name) and the name of the award in the upper right-hand corner of each page.
- Use half-inch margins. Do not use lettering smaller than 10 point.
- Assemble the application package in the order listed in the Required Documents section of this application.
- Adhere to page limits and complete all sections.
- The completed application, letters of support or commitment, and other documents as applicable must be combined into and submitted as one PDF document. Name the PDF file as follows: 2021 Bridge – Last name, First Name (Example: 2021 Bridge – Smith, Jane)