Afdhal / McHutchison LIFER Award
Download the application [PDF]
The purpose of this two-year, $100,000 ($50,000/year) award is to foster career development for fellows performing clinical research and/or translational research in a liver-related area and who have shown commitment to excellence at an early stage of their research study. The award is intended to ensure that a significant portion of the investigators’ time is protected for research, with an overall objective of enabling the investigators to develop independent and productive research careers in liver disease.
International applicants who have been accepted into a fellowship position at a North American institution are strongly encouraged to apply.
Questions? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
In order to be eligible for this award, the applicant must adhere to the following guidelines.
The applicant must:
- postdoctoral or clinical research fellow who has completed their most recent doctoral degree or medical residency within the past five (5) years at the start of the grant term (July 1, 2021).
- Applicants from North America must be working at an academic, medical, or research institution at the time of application and for the duration of the award.
- Applicants from outside of North America must have already been accepted into a fellowship position at a North American education institution at the time of application and for the duration of the award. Positions contingent on receipt of the award are also acceptable. The North American fellowship position must start no later than the award start date (July 1, 2021) and end no earlier than the award end date (June 30, 2023). International applicants must have a student or trainee Visa to the country where the fellowship will occur.
- The applicant must be a member of the American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases (AASLD) at the time of award application and maintain active membership for the duration of the award period.
- The applicant must have a mentor at the North American institution who is an AASLD member in good standing for the duration of the award.
- At least 80 percent effort should be devoted to research activities related to the award.
- Applicant does not hold other similar research awards.
The proposed project must:
- Be clinical or translational. "Clinical Research" is defined as studies related to patients or disease processes having direct contact between the principal investigator and humans. Clinical research includes clinical trials in liver disease. "Translational Research" is defined as clinical research with a substantial component of laboratory investigation using blood or tissue specimens from patients with liver disease.
- Be completed at the North American institution.
- Applicants may only apply for one (1) AASLD Foundation (AASLDF) award per application cycle.
Award period: July 1, 2021 - June 30, 2023
- Awards of $100,000 will be provided over two years ($50,000 per year).
- Funds may only be used for salary support and/or for technical support/laboratory supplies (excluding capital equipment) for the recipient.
- No indirect costs, registration fees, or travel expenses are provided. It is expected that additional funds are available to the investigator in order to carry out the proposed research.
- Awards cannot be transferred to another institution without prior written approval from AASLD Foundation.
- Funding notifications for the 2021 awards cycle will be sent no later than May 1, 2021.
Candidates will be evaluated based upon their background, their commitment to a research career, the strength of their research project and the environment in which they will conduct this project. Preference and priority will be given to international applicants.
Applications will be reviewed based on the written materials submitted. Incomplete applications and applications that fail to adhere strictly to the instructions (including the submission deadline and page limitations) will not be reviewed. All decisions are final.
The application deadline for this fellowship is 11:59 pm ET, December 3, 2020.
Applications will be accepted online starting on August 19, 2020. You will be sent an email confirmation that the PDF was received. If an email confirmation is not received in 2 business days, contact email@example.com to confirm receipt.
To prepare your application:
- Download the application [PDF]
- Use the forms provided in the application package as cover pages. Print or type responses.
- Include only the required documents and provide signatures as requested.
- Put your name (last name, first name) and the name of the award in the upper right-hand corner of each page.
- Use half-inch margins. Do not use lettering smaller than 10 point.
- Assemble the application package in the order listed in the Required Documents section of this application.
- Adhere to page limits and complete all sections.
- The completed application, letters of support or commitment, and other documents as applicable must be combined into and submitted as one PDF document. Name the PDF file as follows: 2021 LIFER – Last name, First Name (Example: 2021 LIFER – Smith, Jane)