Application And Important Dates
- March – April Application Submission
- The Liver Meeting® 2021: November 12-16
- The Liver Meeting® 2022: November 4-8
The Emerging Liver Scholars program is a career-long accomplishment that begins with a sponsored trip to fully immerse yourself in everything The Liver Meeting® has to offer and continues year-after-year with the opportunity to become an ambassador or voice for AASLD and the ELS Program at your current and future institutions.
Created in 2012, the Emerging Liver Scholars Program promotes the study of hepatology among residents who have the potential for a career in academic medicine and who haven’t yet determined their long-term career goals. This program is targeted toward medical, surgical and pediatric residents and their mentors to attend The Liver Meeting® and participate in other AASLD activities throughout their training.
The ELS program is supported by AASLD Foundation as part of its continuing mission to invest in innovative hepatology research and in the people who study and treat liver disease.
Who Should Apply?
AASLD members serve as mentors by identifying candidates who have an interest in liver disease and are most likely undecided on their career path. Candidates should be:
- 1st and 2nd year residents in Internal Medicine, Pathology, Radiology or Pediatrics*
- 1st through 4th year surgical residents
- In US, Canada, and Mexico-based resident programs only
These residents would be interested in choosing adult or pediatric gastroenterology, hepatology, hepatopathology, surgery or GI radiation with an emphasis on hepatobiliary imaging as their career focus.
If you know of a colleague who hasn’t quite yet determined his or her final career goals and has an interest in hepatology, encourage them to learn more about the program. ** Note: AASLD Mentors may supervise up to two  ELS applicants per year. Two mentors may share one ELS applicant supervision, if appropriate.
What are the Expectations of Participation in this Program?
For the Resident Mentee:
- You must demonstrate motivation, self-direction and personal integrity
- You must have highly developed interpersonal skills
- You must demonstrate leadership and potential for academic success
- You must demonstrate – most of all – the desire to succeed
- You must be willing to commit for the duration of the meeting (Thursday – Tuesday) and provide mentors and AASLD Foundation with regular follow-up after the program
- Allow your mentor to guide you throughout the program and be open to suggestions about programming and attendance at certain functions throughout The Liver Meeting®
- Check in daily with your mentor
- Provide for two-way communication
- Serve as a resource to your colleagues by informing them about your experience at The Liver Meeting® and by working with the AASLD Foundation to produce materials for future scholar award recipients
For the AASLD Mentor:
- You will be expected to guide the resident throughout the program, both during The Liver Meeting® and following the meeting.
- During the meeting, attend all Emerging Liver Scholar functions when required; check in with the resident daily during the meeting; and share your knowledge, understanding and experiences in the field of hepatology.
- After the meeting, help facilitate career development through guidance and advice; provide for two-way communication; and be the champion of the resident.
- One year of AASLD Trainee membership (includes journals)
- Free registration to The Liver Meeting® (includes Postgraduate Course, Meet-the-Professor luncheons, Career Development Workshop, and Early Morning Workshops)
- Participation in the AASLD Resident/Fellow Ambassador Program, continuing your opportunity to network with fellow award recipients and AASLD members and reach out to colleagues about the field of hepatology and your experiences as an AASLD Emerging Liver Scholar
- Opportunity to assist AASLD Foundation in the development and evaluation of its efforts to promote and support the hepatology workforce
- Complete the online application form
- Curriculum Vitae
- Personal Statement
- Mentor Letter of Recommendation
Any questions should be sent to email@example.com.
Class of 2021
AASLD Foundation's Emerging Liver Scholars program is now in its ninth year. Meet the 2021 Emerging Liver Scholars.