Autoimmune Liver Diseases Pilot Research Award
Download the application [PDF].
The purpose of this one year, $20,000 award is to provide supplementary funding during the pilot phase of basic, translational or clinical research projects in autoimmune liver disease (e.g. autoimmune hepatitis, primary sclerosing cholangitis, primary biliary cholangitis) in preparation for future grant applications by the recipient. Projects should address focused research questions pertaining to the pathogenesis, diagnosis, management or outcome of autoimmune liver diseases in children and adults.
Questions? Contact email@example.com.
In order to be eligible for this award, the applicant must adhere to the following guidelines.
The applicant must:
- Be at the pre-doctoral/graduate level, post-doctoral level, or junior faculty within the first five (5) years of his/her first faculty appointment (including prior appointments in universities outside of North America) at the start of the award (July 1, 2021).
- If funded, at least 20% effort should be devoted to research activities related to this award.
- Be a member of the American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases (AASLD) at the time of award application and maintain active membership for the duration of the award period.
- Have a mentor or co-mentor who is an AASLD member in good standing at the time of application and for the duration of the award period.
The proposed project must:
- Be conducted at the sponsoring institution within the United States, Canada or Mexico.
- Applicants may only apply for one (1) AASLD Foundation (AASLDF) award per application cycle.
- Projects with aims already funded by other awards will not be considered.
Award Period: July 1, 2021 – June 30, 2022
- Awards of $20,000 will be provided over one (1) year.
- Funds may only be used for salary support and/or for technical support/laboratory supplies (excluding capital equipment) for the recipient.
- No indirect costs, registration fees, or travel expenses are provided. It is expected that additional funds are available to the investigator in order to carry out the proposed research.
- Awards cannot be transferred to another institution without prior written approval from AASLD Foundation.
- Recipients must acknowledge the award in all publications (abstracts, manuscripts, or other documents) resulting from research performed during the tenure of this award.
- Funding notifications for the 2021 awards cycle will be sent no later than May 1, 2021.
Candidates will be evaluated based upon their background, their commitment to a research career, the strength of their research project and the environment in which they will conduct this project. The potential for the research to support the recipient in a future academic career as a physician scientist in hepatology will also be considered.
Applications will be reviewed based on the written materials submitted. Incomplete applications and applications that fail to adhere strictly to the instructions (including the submission deadline and page limitations) will not be reviewed. All decisions are final.
The application deadline for this award is 11:59 pm Eastern time, December 3, 2020.
Applications will be accepted online starting on August 19, 2020. You will be sent an email confirmation that the PDF was received. If an email confirmation is not received in 2 business days, contact firstname.lastname@example.org to confirm receipt.
To prepare your application:
- Download the application [PDF]
- Use the forms provided in the application package as cover pages. Print or type responses.
- Include only the required documents and provide signatures as requested.
- Put your name (last name, first name) and the name of the award in the upper right-hand corner of each page.
- Use half-inch margins. Do not use lettering smaller than 10 point.
- Assemble the application package in the order listed in the Required Documents section of this application.
- Adhere to page limits and complete all sections.
- The completed application, letters of support or commitment, and other documents as applicable must be combined into and submitted as one PDF document. Name the PDF file as follows: 2021 Autoimmune Pilot – Last name, First Name (Example: 2021 Autoimmune Pilot – Smith, Jane)